Content of Figures
- Figure 1 Dimensions of the Healthcare Sector
- Figure 2 Technology Trends in the Healthcare Industry
- Figure 3 Comparison of AI Use Cases Based on Profit Orientation, Internal/External Orientation, and Maturity
- Figure 4 Data Inputs for an AI-Based Chatbot Use Case
- Figure 5 Data Inputs for an AI-Based Patient Adherence Analytics Use Case
- Figure 6 Data Input for an Image Classification-Assisted Diagnosis Use Case
- Figure 7 Data Input for AI-Powered Analytics for Clinical Trial Recruitment
- Figure 8 Data Inputs for Patient No-Show Reduction and Intervention
- Figure 9 Comparison of Blockchain Use Cases Based on Profit Orientation, Patient/Hospital Orientation, and Maturity
- Figure 10 Process Changes to Patient Data Management with Blockchain
- Figure 11 Process Changes to Pharmaceutical Supply Chains with Blockchain
- Figure 12 Comparison of IoT Use Cases Based on Profit Orientation, Patient/Hospital Orientation, and Maturity
- Figure 13 Examples of Wearable and Implantable IoT Devices for Healthcare
- Figure 14 Examples of Ambient Sensors for Healthcare
- Figure 15 Comparison of Digital Identity Use Cases based on Scope
- Figure 16 Digital Identity in Contact Tracing Apps
- Figure 17 Digital Medical ID with Insurance & Prescription Integrations
1 Executive Summary
The healthcare sector is positioned in a complex landscape of highly innovative research on patient care and treatments, continually streamlined busin ...Login Free 30-day Select Access Get full Access
- Impacts of emerging technologies such as AI, blockchain, IoT, and digital identity on the healthcare industry will be widespread
- Healthcare intera ...
3 Healthcare Landscape
Globally, the landscape of healthcare is changing. There are several drivers of this change. The many actors along the healthcare value chain are expe ...Login Free 30-day Select Access Get full Access
3.1 Healthcare’s Relationship to Emerging Technologies
Emerging technologies, such as artificial intelligence (AI), blockchain, the internet of things (IoT), and digital identity will impact the many dimen ...
Business Operations: The healthcare industry is interdependent on governments, insurance providers, pharmaceutical companies, and research institutio ...Login Free 30-day Select Access Get full Access
3.2 New Trends in Healthcare
New trends are making themselves apparent in the healthcare industry, with potential to disrupt current business models with technology-driven new one ...
The past years of digital transformation that the healthcare industry has experienced has focused on creating interoperability between institutions, f ...Login Free 30-day Select Access Get full Access
4 Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning in Healthcare
Artificial Intelligence is already disrupting the medical field and has the potential to become even more present in medical research, patient care, a ...Login Free 30-day Select Access Get full Access
4.1 AI Use Case Suitability
This comparison matrix identifies several AI use-cases for the healthcare sector. A strong AI use case leverages the availability of historical data, ...Login Free 30-day Select Access Get full Access
4.2 AI Use Cases
The Healthcare industry is full of potential AI use cases. Rather than looking at each use case individually, it can be helpful to categorize them by ...
AI for Improving Patient Adherence: This is a solution that can improve community health by assisting patients outside of a hospital or care facility ...
Image Classification-Assisted Diagnosis: Image classification has opened up a huge number of diagnosis and early disease detection use cases. CT scan ...
AI-Powered Analytics for Improving Clinical Workflows: There are various applications for AI to help improve clinical workflows. These are processes ...
AI-Powered Analytics for Hospital Management/Optimization: The hospital system has long been modeled on the needs of the battlefield, where patients ...Login Free 30-day Select Access Get full Access
4.3 Implications of AI Deployment
The implications of AI deployment in the healthcare sector can be more serious than in other sectors. In many use cases, the effects of an incorrect d ...Login Free 30-day Select Access Get full Access
5 Blockchain in Healthcare
Blockchain has the potential to help the healthcare industry become more patient-centric and operate less in institutional silos. By using the immutab ...Login Free 30-day Select Access Get full Access
5.1 Blockchain Use Case Suitability
There are several use cases that incorporate blockchain into the healthcare sector. These take advantage of blockchain’s strengths: its decentralize ...Login Free 30-day Select Access Get full Access
5.2 Blockchain Use Cases
Patient Data Management: As is the trend in other industries, consumers, end-users, and in this case patients experience difficulty in having control ...
Digital Medical ID: A decentralized identity system can also support the credentialing and identifying of medical professionals. In community health ...
Digital health passports: Since the COVID19 pandemic blockchain has garnered more public attention, like to provide digital health passports to prove ...Login Free 30-day Select Access Get full Access
5.3 Implications of Blockchain Deployment
The use cases that blockchain can address in the health sector are interesting, but not of the highest priority. The most likely use case to see adopt ...Login Free 30-day Select Access Get full Access
6 IoT in Healthcare
IoT in healthcare is generally highly accepted, with several popular commercial products such as fitness watches being viewed as “normal”. The pot ...Login Free 30-day Select Access Get full Access
6.1 IoT Use Case Suitability
Measuring the suitability of IoT use cases in the healthcare sector depends on several factors: the real-world objects or bodies that are being measur ...Login Free 30-day Select Access Get full Access
6.2 IoT Use Cases
The types of IoT for medical use can be divided into three technological types: Wearables, Implants, and Ambient Sensors.5 Some include Stationary ...
Ambient Sensors: Ambient sensors are sensors that are embedded into everyday objects. Ambient intelligence refers to environments that are contextual ...Login Free 30-day Select Access Get full Access
6.3 Implications of IoT Deployment
There are serious security considerations when applying IoT in Healthcare. Cyberattacks have been increasing steadily over the past few years, and are ...Login Free 30-day Select Access Get full Access
7 Digital Identity in Healthcare
Digital identity is the next logical step in the digital transformation of this sector. It will define a new era of patient/caregiver interaction, wit ...Login Free 30-day Select Access Get full Access
7.1 Digital Identity Use Case Suitability
Digital Identity for healthcare reduces friction between departments, institutions, and industries. When implemented properly and at a high enough qua ...Login Free 30-day Select Access Get full Access
7.2 Digital Identity Use Cases
COVID Contact Tracing: Most accepted solutions use Bluetooth networks to exchange tokens with other users in proximity of the primary user’s device ...
Digital Medical ID: Although this use case was mentioned in relation to blockchain, digital medical IDs can be facilitated using other methods, like ...
Insurance Integration: Communication with insurance providers is an often necessary step when a patient seeks medical care. Digital wallets that hold ...Login Free 30-day Select Access Get full Access
7.3 Implications of Digital Identity in the Healthcare Sector
Enabling the healthcare sector to use digital identities would be a huge step to ensuring wider access to services, drive operational efficiencies, an ...Login Free 30-day Select Access Get full Access
8 Regulatory Notes
Applying emerging technologies to the healthcare industry must be done in compliance with relevant regulations. A handful of applicable regulations ar ...Login Free 30-day Select Access Get full Access
9 Recommendations and Conclusions
Healthcare organizations should critically assess how interoperable an institution’s data is, to flexibly accommodate new approaches to healthcare, ...Login Free 30-day Select Access Get full Access
10 Related Research
White Paper: Healthcare IAM: Enhance the Clinical Workflow – 80163
Advisory Note: Emerging Technologies Fostering Digital Business Innovation: Finance Industry – 80264
Advisory Note: Emerging Technologies Fostering Digital Business Innovation: Energy and Utilities Industry – 80265
Leadership Brief: The Role of AI in Modern Busines Intelligence Platforms – 80393
Executive View: IBM Watson OpenScale – 80505
Market Compass: Decentralized Identity: Blockchain and Self-Sovereign Identity – 80064
- WHO. (2020). World Health Statistics 2020. World Health Organization.
- Xu et. al. (2019). Current Status and Future Trends of Clinical Diagnoses via Image-Based Deep Learning Theranostics.
- Ni et. al. (2019). A Real-Time Automated Patient Screening System for Clinical Trials Eligibility in an Emergency Department: Design and Evaluation JMIR Medical Informatics.
- Alsubaei et al., (2017) Security and Privacy in the Internet of Medical Things: Taxonomy and Risk Assessment. IEEE International Workshop Conference Paper.
- FDA. Proposed Regulatory Framework for Modifications to Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning (AI/ML)-Based Software as a Medical Device (SaMD).